First Howard, Now Wheeler
Since Ryan Howard was named NL MVP today, we should renew our efforts to see the legendary 'Wheels' inducted into the Hall of Fame. Our Phillies deserve recognition for their terrific play, and their terrific play by play. Chris Wheeler, along with his hair, were just as important as Ryan Howard to the 2006 Philadephia Phillies campaign.
Christopher Wheeler's wit and insight paved the way for young Ryan to mature. There can be no doubt that Wheels tutored young Ryan in all aspects of the game. Many a story surfaced about him spending late nights at CBP with Ryan in the batting cages, helping to fix holes in Ryan's swing and to define that batting eye. As both a licensed nutritionist and bodybuilder, Wheels can also lay claim to improving Ryan's diet and workout regimen, so much so that Ryan himself has publicly stated he gives 99% of the credit to Chris (the other 1% is to his parents for providing a stable environment to flourish in):
"I know most already know this, but Chris really helped me out. 'Wheels', as his closest friends like to call him, insisted that I strive for more than just a major league job. Before the 2004 season Wheels met me in a diner in Clearwater and together we mapped out my entire future. He even helped me pick some clothes out when I finally made it to the majors. I am forever indebted to him. This honor belongs to him, I am just the vessel that spread the message of Wheels."
From this we can start to see the Wheels philosophy...one of compassion, dedication, and spirit. For this, the world owes Chris Wheeler.